Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I´ve spent the last few days running errands, changing money, and assisting as I can around the office. We were preparing to host a meeting of the Red Ecumenica (Ecumenical Network), which is a network of religious leaders throughout Colombia who are working on justice issues related to the conflict. Opening worship last night was an inspiration; I was so caught up in the message and liturgy (or what I could catch of it), that at times I would forget to translate for my colleague Christine (for which she generously forgives me every time :) ) Today, my birthday, I began the morning by starting to translate some of the hymns we have been singing, in hopes of incorporating them in service back home. Below, I´ve included the translation for one that find absolutely thrilling. It captures the theological spirit of the conference. Sadly, I don´t have the music for y´all. I´ll write again soon.

Buenas Nuevas Pa´Mi Pueblo (Good News for My People)

They will fall, those who oppress,
The hope of my people
They will fall, those who eat
Bread for which they did not sweat
They will fall, with violence
Those same who have searched for it
And my people will arise
Like the sun over the field

Chorus

Good news!
Good news for my people!
He who wants to hear, listen
She who wants to see, watch
That which is happening
In the midst of a people
Who are beginning to march
That which is happening
In the midst of a people
Who are beginning to awake

You are no longer yoked
Your pain has finished
Long, you have waited
Now your moment has arrived
In your hollows, my people
There is a God who has been hidden
And with strength he has awakened
Your sleeping face

Chorus


A new day is dawning
And the fields are green again
New men appear
From an earth that is renewing
And their voices, like thunder´
Are breaking the silence
And in your songs of courage
There is a God who takes joy

Chorus

We can change history
Walk to our victory
We can create the future
And break down all the walls
If we unite our hands
If we see each other as brothers and sisters
We will achieve the impossible,
We will be a people of free men and women.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Amy!!! I'm glad to hear you made it safely to Colombia, and that you're having such a powerful experience already. I can't wait to hear more!

Kelsey

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home