Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sharing in Celebration

Colombia is not a wheelchair accessible country. Delegations have begun to arrive for the Celebration of the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of Presbyterianism in Colombia. As we are seated in the headquarters of the IPC, the Anniversary will be here in the area. The Stated Clerk is coming, along with quite a few other dignitaries. Very official. This afternoon, I wheeled around the executive of Miami Presbytery, who twisted her foot as soon as she stepped off the bus with her delegation here in Barranquilla, and so is now in a wheelchair. There are no ramps here, which makes transportation much more difficult. I feel for her; I remember how difficult it was when I was in a wheelchair for six weeks in the states. Conditions here make it that much more difficult.

That, combined with the meeting of the Red Ecumenica (Ecumenical Network), has kept us busy right here at the Universidad Reformada (Reformed University). It´s been exciting; I´ve gotten to know a lot of people doing thrilling work, but I´m ready for it to be a bit quieter. This is a very loud country. It´s a joyful noise, a noise of celebration and music and laughter, but it can be very distracting

I spent my birthday yesterday sitting in committee meetings and translating (in small groups better than large ones). It satisfied all my nerdy needs. There was a cake at the meeting, and a small group of us went out afterwards to a restaurant that blasts 80s USian pop music into the streets of Barranquilla. It was a very good birthday.

Thank you all for your wishes! I´ll write more soon!

Emy (Colombian spelling of Amy)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Happy belated birthday, Amy!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home